12 March 2011

The Final Stretch

As the days until the baby was due shortened, Jane found herself at a loss for ways to fill up her time. Every morning she made lunch for the twins, picked up their matching disaster zones they called rooms, and watched talk shows while she waited for Moe to come home from the hospital; but beyond those menial tasks, her days were quite empty.

Moe was being particularly over-protective throughout her pregnancy, despite her assurances that she was completely fine. She'd been placed on maternity halfway through the second trimester, and she was making sure not to overdo it. Still, if she even so much as looked at a treadmill, Moe would seemingly materialize out of thin air to yell at her and whisk her away.

With no form of exertion that wouldn't give her worrying husband a heart attack, Jane's exercise was limited to walking to the mailbox every morning, and occasionally doing a bit of shopping. While the boredom was driving her crazy, she had to admit that the break from her hectic career was surprisingly nice.

It wasn't that she regretted having to leave her job for a few months. Oddly enough, she didn't really anything about her job at all- she just missed having something to do. While she'd originally enjoyed being a teacher, it had become increasingly difficult to take care of other people's children when her own were such a handful. Lately, she's been entertaining the idea of not returning to work after the baby came.

After all, now that Moe had become a fully-fledged resident, their finances certainly wouldn't be hampered, she thought. Their income had increased so much since Moe had gone back to work that it didn't matter if she returned to teaching or not. 

There was still a little time before the baby came; not a lot, but time enough to make that decision. 

Little did she know that there was another pregnant woman in town who was making decisions of her own. 

Jane didn't recognize the blonde stranger who was advancing across her lawn, but the look on her face didn't exactly scream "friendly." 

"You there, Pesce!" 

"... Me?" 

"Yes you, you filthy tramp!" 

"Stay away from my man!" 

"Excuse me? Who are you, and what the hell are you talking about?" With the baby ready to pop out of her any day now, Jane wasn't exactly in the best mood to entertain strangers who pointed their fingers in her face and gave her vague warnings that didn't even apply to her. 

"That's not important. What is important is you keeping your slutty mittens off Chase!"

Chase freaking Cruz. Of course. "Listen, whoever you are... I don't know who you've been talking to, but I've got nothing to do with Chase. I'm married and having a baby with another guy, and believe me, my mittens aren't going to be anywhere near him if I have anything to say about it." She turned to walk away, but the stranger was clearly not done. 

"Listen up, blondie... I'm not an idiot. You both moving back to town at the same time? That's hardly a coincidence. You seem like a nice girl, so I'll give you a fair warning. Watch your back." The blonde turned and walked away, leaving Jane absolutely dumbfounded. 



"... and then she told me to watch my back and ran off!" Jane finished relating the afternoon's events to Moe as he undressed for bed.

"Uh huh." He rummaged through the dresser drawers, looking for a clean undershirt and clearly not paying attention.

"Moe!" Jane's exasperated voice rang out.

"Sorry, hon, it was just a really long day at the hospital, and lately we've been understaffed, so I'm on call all this week," he explained apologetically. "I'm just really, really tired."

"It's okay." Jane smiled and sat down slowly on the bed, one hand bracing her back. "It was just a weird encounter, that's all. I can't figure out how she knows who I am, let alone who she is and why she thinks I'm... Never mind," she amended with a quick look at her husband's face.

"Can we just go one day without mentioning Chase Cruz?" Moe protested pitifully.

Jane shot an quick glance at her husband, who seemed to finally be cracking under the Chase-related pressure. "I'm sorry, honey. I'll try not to run afoul of any more of his jealous conquests," she teased him. He gave her a lopsided smile, but still seemed unamused.



The next day started off simply enough. It was Moe's day off, and the Pesces were planning on spending the afternoon at the community gardens. It was one of the few things Moe felt comfortable doing when Jane was this pregnant.

Unfortunately, their plans fell through almost immediately.

"Oh hey, honey... the hospital called," Moe apologized. "There was a big accident over on Sweetwater Loop, and I've got to go in. You'll be okay here, right?"

"Sure." Jane forced herself to smile brightly as he gathered his things. "We'll just... go to the library, or something."

Moe wasn't buying it.

"I'm sorry, honey, I know you were looking forward to the gardens. I'll make it up to you, I promise." He felt awful; this was always the worst part of being a doctor. Sure, he enjoyed the work, but it definitely limited his time with his family.

"It's okay, really," she insisted, this time sincerely. "We'll just go tomorrow." The guilt trips came so easily with her pregnancy that she didn't really think about how any of it affected Moe.

"Thanks, Jane... you're the best." He planted a quick peck on her cheek and slipped out the door, hoping that the hospital wouldn't be too busy.

For her own part, Jane was resigned to spending the rest of the afternoon reading, shopping, and looking after the twins, much like she had for the past several weeks.

Fate, however, had different plans in mind for her.

The first contraction caught her completely by surprise. At first, she wasn't even sure it had been a contraction; but as a puddle of water formed around her feet, she realized what was happening.

"Sophie, Ethan... the baby's coming! It's time to go to the hospital!"



It was a tough decision, but I'm cutting this post short so I can devote the next post to the birth. Still, I couldn't not show you guys this: 


Yes, that's mister Travis Kane, who attempted to stop Jane from going into the hospital and then proceeded to freak out when he failed. No clue what it meant, but I thought it was hilarious. 

12 comments:

Poor Jane, going stir crazy! I know exactly how she feels, hahaha. ;D I can understand why Moe's being protective, especially when he's in a profession where he knows exactly how things *can* go wrong, but sheesh! Hehe.

Oh, man. Did I catch that whats-her-face is pregnant too?! (Can't remember her name for the life of me.) My my, Chase, you're quite the daddy, huh? ^^

And of course, she has to go after Jane. I guess it is quite the coincidence, but, she's still riding the crazy fence a bit. (Which is funny, because she's always been a total beeyotch in my game, too.)

Yay, Moe gets to be at the hospital when Jane gives birth! :D Though, that's probably the only good thing about him having to go in... Poor guy is gonna work himself to death. Such a contrast to Jane, right now.

I can't wait to see what the baby is!

Also, lol @ Travis. What a way to make yourself obnoxious, kiddo. :P

Oh! I also wanted to give you a tip in case you're interested:

If you want to get rid of the thoughtbubbles/talkbubbles/plumbbob when you're taking screenshots, just open up the cheat window and type "hideheadlineeffects on". (Or with 'off' to turn them back on.)

Tis useful for making sure they aren't thinking about grilled cheese while having an emotional talk with their husband, or anything to that effect. ^^

Poor Jane, so over protected by Moe, can't even think about overdoing it.

And then she gets some pregnant bimbo accusing her of chasing Chase. Not fair at all is it?

Moe seems like such a nice guy. He is trying very hard to do the right thing by his family. Medicine is a bad profession if you want them to *ever* have family time.

LOL at Travis. Silly teen, move or you'll be very traumatized by a birth.

LOL - Got confused when I saw a notice that Moe Pesce was getting involved with some female. Then I realised that it's my BB game and he is one of the BB residents.

Add tip to Kaleeko's tip. If you use Twallan's Overwatch, you can add hideheadlineeffects on to the list of command to automatically run. I have to turn that off if I want thought bubbles now. Though you can create some funny dialogue trying explain some of those thought bubbles. :)

Kaleeko- thought you'd enjoy his random presence, haha!

As for Jenni, she's pregnant with Goodwin's baby (actually, triplets, yikes)- Chase hasn't really talked to her since he got back in town, as their relationship was before she ever got pregnant with Goodwin, so she's just crazy and hormonal.

The timing is skewed, though- her relationship with Chase took place "in the past" but technically had to be staged while she was pregnant with Goodwin's baby since she starts the game preggers. But for the purposes of the story, there's like an eight year time difference. Shhhh.

Also, for someone with her traits (friendly? family oriented? hopeless romantic?) Jenni is a bit of a bitchy whore. Coincidentally, in my game, she's the town Tart, and lives with her husband AND her boyfriend/father of her babies? So... there's that.

Yeah, Moe's pager went off literally five minutes before she went into labor, no involvement on my part. Funnily enough, he left his job, went back home, and THEN grabbed a taxi to meet her at the hospital.

Thanks for the tip!!! I never even knew that. This will be very useful. Usually their thought bubbles match up with the tone of the conversation but I find them aesthetically annoying.

PiB- Moe really is a sweetie. He does love his job, though, and he got promoted right after the baby was born so his work hours are a bit better!

Travis is actually pretty funny in my game. He was a town bully, then quit and joined the vigilantes. He's also had 3 different girlfriends (but none of them Jade or Emerald, sadly). And he tends to wander around weird places (like the hospital).

Yup, Moe's a Barnacle Bay townie.

I don't use Overwatch, but I will definitely be using the cheat!

As always, thanks for the responses!

Also, the baby's a girl. It was always going to be a girl, for a variety of complex reasons, the most important one being so I could name it after my friend. ;)

And correction regarding Jenni- She has already had Goodwin's babies, then immediately married Newton Baker, then got pregnant again (which is the baby she's having now). And to be honest, I'm not sure who the father is, Newton or Goodwin, as she's involved with both. The one thing I can say with certainty is that it's not Chase!

Oh man, correction time part deux: It's Lincoln Baker, not Newton. I really don't spend enough time with the rest of the town, clearly.

Triplets? *faint* Good lord. That makes sense, though--I was confused that the babies would be Chases when he's been gone so long, but... Yeah. Apparently she's just being over-territorial. Crazy woman! Hahah--Town Tart definitely suits Jenni, for sure.

Eeehehehe. Dang, the game's routing system is a nightmare. When Margo was first born Brad missed the taxi taking them home, so Alesha took it home, then WALKED back to the hospital to take another cab with him. Seriously. Messed. Up.

Too funny that he really did have his pager go off right then. Impeccable timing. ;D

I agree with PiB that the thought bubbles are amusing at times, but I also agree with you--they're not all that attractive when you're trying to take a nice screenshot. I figured I'd help you save the trouble of using crafty hijinks to hide them! ^^

Thank you for writing! I'm definitely looking forward to more--especially to see what your friend's name is, heh heh. That's so sweet of you. :D

To be honest, there are SEVERAL characters in my game named after friends and/or our RP characters. Lucy, for instance, is named after one of my enablers. The baby's name is Isabel, in case you were curious.

I love how you call your friends enablers, hee. ;) That's awesome, though.

Out of curiousity, what/where/how do you RP? I used to be addicted to text-based RPGs 'til not-too-long ago.

I usually do Invisionfree forum style RPs, and usually Harry Potter, sci fi, or fantasy. Never done text-based rpgs though!

Awesome! Harry Potter ftw! :D I played on various different MOOs/MUSHs/MUDs, but most of them were based on the Dragonriders of Pern book series. <-- Huge, huge nerd.

That's really cool, though. ^^

Poor Jane, everyone seems out to get her. I feel even more sorry for Moe, I can understand why is tired of hearing about Chase. But as a reader, I look forward to hearing more.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More